Wednesday, February 29, 2012

ONE STEP AT A TIME




“Procrastination is, hands down, our favorite form of self-sabotage”
~ Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby

I heard Rory Vaden, author of the book Take the Stairs, interviewed the other day. At first I thought he was an exercise guru, but he is actually a motivational speaker and self-discipline strategist for businesses. His premise is to do the right thing even if it is hard.

Although he is focused on helping businesses succeed, what he talks about it true about life. I thought about my life. Where am I taking the elevator when I should really be trudging up the stairs? Well, one thing is exercise. And I literally have to walk up stairs to my exercise equipment. I hate to exercise. It is boring and time-consuming. But it is also necessary.

Other difficult things may be standing firm with a teenager. Having that talk with someone. Making that apology. Applying for a new job. Being a better employee. Stop procrastinating and do what has to be done. Stop spending and save money. The possibilities are endless.

Are you on the elevator, taking the easy way out? Do you need to take the stairs, do the hard thing because it is the right thing to do?

I encourage you to do so. Take one step at a time. Guess I better head up my stairs and start the Jane Fonda DVD!  

5 comments:

Jan Morrill said...

Great metaphor for doing what's necessary, though not always pleasant, in life I'm headed out to pull weeds.

Kim said...

@Linda - Good point! I've found that exercise can be quality time - I do hours at the gym each week and always look forward to reading a book on the treadmill, bike or elliptical, and take a Play-away book along for the weights work, when my hands aren't free. Makes it a favorite relaxation time I always look forward to.

Denton Gay said...

Your quote is so true. And procrastination can take many forms! In regard to exercise, try to find something you like and make it fun. As kids, we'd sometimes take two or three steps up the stairs at a time. :)

Karen Barnes Jordan said...

Love that quote, Linda! “Procrastination is, hands down, our favorite form of self-sabotage” (Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby).

And you are SO right--doing the "right" thing is often the "hardest" thing to do. Thanks for the reminder.

BECKY said...

Linda, I've been suffering from this for SO long....in writing my memoir....I need a magic wand, I think! :)