“ . . . We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.” ~ Leo F. Buscaglia
Last week we looked at all the beauty and the positive qualities of an earth personality. But, as with all personalities, there are several vulnerabilities.
People who have the character qualities of earth are very supportive and nurturing to all who need them—friends, acquaintances, and strangers alike. However, they are very closed about their personal life. Instead, they only open up to a small circle of trusted friends. It can be very hard getting to know them and this can make them appear aloof.
- · Tip for earth personalities: You don’t have to open up to everyone who comes your way, but be aware of those who are making friendly overtones and be gracious.
- · Tip for those of us who have earth people in our life: Don’t be offended if you are not readily “received” into earth’s circle of friends. Be patient and trustworthy.
Earth people are very calm and stable—most of the time, that is. During those peaceful days they may be burying their problems, frustrations, anger, pain, and offenses. I call it “stuffing.” It causes a slow burn in their center. They know those things are there and may feel the burn, but it is controllable for a while. Then, when there is no more room in their center and when the burn grows too hot, the smallest thing will cause them to blow like a volcano. The unfortunate person who placed the proverbial “last straw” stands back, owl-eyed, and wonders why the huge reaction to such a small thing.
- · Tip for earth personalities: Try and recognize when you are burying problems or offenses. It is better to deal with it right then. You aren’t doing any favors by stuffing.
- · Tip for those of us who have earth people in our life: If this happens, step back, take a deep breath, and realize it isn’t you. It is many things. Try not to take offense.
Just as earth has cycles, those who are like earth must have order. They are very conscientious and detailed. But if they are not careful they can be obnoxiously picky and rigid. They also resist change whether it is something as simple as rearranging the furniture to applying for a new job. In addition to being very slow to accept change, they do not like unfamiliar situations. At parties they prefer to hide away or spend the evening speaking only to those they know. They hate working the room.
- · Tip for earth personalities: Recognize the difference between paying attention to details and being a dictator of details. Also, be willing to stretch yourself socially. Mix a little. Ask people about themselves. This will not only enrich your life but it will bless others.
- · Tip for those of us who have earth people in our life: Appreciate the fact that earth people pay attention to details and that without them many things would slip by unnoticed. And in a social situation, if you notice the earth person hiding in the corner, avoiding people, go to them and begin a conversation. Keep it light, maybe ask about their interests or family.
Remember last week I wrote about how the earth spins but we cannot feel it? Well, the earth person’s mind spins constantly. Sometimes I will say something to Neal, and although he is looking at me, he doesn’t hear a word I say. Why? His mind is spinning with an idea, solving a problem, or making a to do list.
- · Tip for earth personalities: Notice when someone is speaking to you and give them your full attention.
- · Tip for those of us who have earth people in our life: Don’t take offense. Just ask him/her to repeat what you said.
Earth, we need it—them. I hope this helps you appreciate our earth brothers and sisters.
I’m sure you’ve noticed I didn’t put any tips in the water article. It just occurred to me to add tips while writing this article. I’ll add tips to the water piece this week.
Next week: Wind!