Monday, August 29, 2011

WAVING AT THE WINDOW




If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.” ~ Mercedes Lackey

This week I am interrupting my “understanding others to enhance better communication” posts to share with you something my mother and I spoke about this morning. It pierced my heart and I feel it has an important message for many of my readers.

Years ago my father had a manufacturing business and the building was on a parcel of his parents land in Vilonia, AR. From the building he could see his folk's house. Each day he made the 45-minute drive to the business, worked all day, then left. Some days he ate lunch with his parents but many days he’d work straight through. 


His father visited the plant daily to visit and check things out, but his mother couldn’t. However, every day when it came time for Dad to leave she stood at the window and waved. He always waved back. However, it never occurred to him to take an extra ten minutes to go hug his mom and tell her he loved her. After all, she’d always be there, right?

But of course, she wouldn’t always be there. She died from brain cancer. Now a several decades later, my daddy who is now in his eighties, still remembers his little momma at the window waving. He aches with tearful regret for not taking the time to gather her up in his arms and simply saying, “I love you. I appreciate you.”

This kind of regret is impossible to fix.

Please don’t take those who are important to you for granted. Is there anyone in your life who is “waving at the window?” Is there anyone in your life who, decades after they are gone, you would regret not showing love or appreciation?

If so, do it today. If you cannot hug them or tell them face-to-face, write a note, send an email, make a call.

Fix it before it is broken. 



9 comments:

Terry Burns said...

Great advice. I used to go by and check on mother every day, then the last couple of years she lived with us. That was precious, precious time and I am so glad that I allowed nothing to interfere with it.

Deborah Dee Harper said...

Linda,

When my brother and sister and I were small, my dad often left after supper to work at the office (he was a superintendent of schools). We would stand in front of the picture window and wave as he pulled past the house and drove off. We must have done that a thousand times. To this day, I wave to my grown kids from the window when they leave the house!
Wonderful post.

Blessings,
Deb

Dee Yoder said...

A beautiful post, Linda. I miss my dad so much, and I am glad I spent as much time with him as possible. I lost a husband to cancer, too, and those years with him were so lovely. Nothing can take the place of love, and being able to know we gave as much time as possible with those we love is precious. Thank yo for posting this!

Cheryl Linn Martin said...

What a wonderful reminder, Linda. Thank you!

Linda O'Connell said...

A great truth in this post, beautiful.

Linda O'Connell said...

Linda,
Beautiful reminder of what is important in life.

Under Her Wings said...

What a good reminder for us all, Linda. There's so much more than just "waving back." Thanks for sharing it.

Normandie Ward Fischer said...

Hugging my mama now. Thank you.

Susanne Drazic said...

What a wonderful reminder for us all. Thank you!