Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MEMORABLE LESSON



“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advise, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand.”~ Henri Nouwen

Recently, I attended a memorial service for a dear lady I have never met. She is the grandmother of my daughter’s significant other.  The morning dawned cold and rainy and didn’t promise to get any better. I feared it would dampen a lot of people’s good intentions to attend. However, when I pulled onto the church parking lot I couldn’t find a place to park!

Inside I settled on the back pew and listened to person after person from all walks of life speak about how this little lady had touched their lives with her kindness and caring. One of her granddaughters said of her that she “loved the strays.”

There is a popular question put out by philosophers and theologians, “Are you making the most of your dash?” Between the birth and death dates on our tombstones is a tiny dash that represents our lives. Are we touching other lives in a meaningful way?

This dear lady obviously had and is an example for us to live by. She accepted people and left judgment up to God. Her home and her heart was a safe haven to many.

This week be a safe haven. Let’s make the most of our dash! 

2 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

What a great reminder! And I love the dash! We just need to remind people that it's not a race through life!

BECKY said...

Lovely post, Linda. I, too, love the "dash". Life definitely goes by way too fast.