Thursday, April 21, 2011

GOOD WILL HUNTING




“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ~ Jung

Yesterday my friend, Connie, and I went morel mushroom hunting—and I do mean hunting. I couldn’t find one if my life depended on it. Connie, on the other hand, found one after another. Some were as big as her fist!

You know how frustrating it is when you go fishing and one person in the boat is catching all the fish? That’s how I felt. But Connie has been hunting mushrooms for years and she has a trained eye. Me, being a newbie, couldn’t see a thing. So she started playing “I spy a mushroom” and waited for me to find it. Finally, I did! After a few rounds of “I spy” I found them on my own.

Later, I thought about how things can be so camouflaged we look right over them. Leaves, grass, sticks, and rocks hid the mushrooms. Connie had to train me to see them. 
In the same way, things like the good qualities in difficult people, the bright side of a aggravating circumstance, talent in a simple mind, wisdom of a senile person are often hard to see. We must train ourselves to look for these treasures.

It can be done. After practicing a few times I began to see morels. If we practice seeing good in others and in our circumstances, it just gets easier and easier.

This week, seek out the good things! 

3 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Words of wisdom, indeed. Blesssings to you on this Easter Sunday.

Russell said...

A lady here at work once remarked, "I'm having a hard time loving her today." Those words stuck with me. When I'm having a difficult time with someone do I think about loving them? That's something I had not considered before. The bad things tend to stick out like a knot on a log, but to see the good things you sometimes have to work at it.

Vicki Rocho said...

Great post! I agree that you can find a bright side even in aggravating/unfortunate circumstances.