Monday, February 21, 2011

OH, NOW I UNDERSTAND

“The one who understands does not speak; the one who speaks does not understand.” ~ Chinese Proverb


A long time ago I read a Cheyenne proverb, “ Do not judge your neighbor until you walk two moons (two months) in his moccasins.” This Native American wisdom struck me at the time, but it didn’t stick with me as much as I would have liked. Too many times I’ve really gotten put out with people for not handling things the way I think they should have. I find it too easy to point my finger and criticize. And there are times I’m justified. But it is during those times I need to give grace.


Why?


Because there have been and will be times I need grace from others.


This truth now looms over me since I agreed to help with a large conference that I’ve attended for years. Up until now I’ve always had an opinion and have often voiced it. Not always complimentary, I might add.


However, since I’ve slipped on the “conference planner’s moccasins” a whole new perspective has dawned on me. The enormity of the task can be overwhelming, especially when you are also handling your personal life responsibilities. Needless to say, I get it now. And in future, instead of being critical, I will offer to help.


This week, if someone isn’t doing to suit you, take a moment and breathe deep. Ask yourself if there is any way you can help remedy the situation by encouraging the person or organization. Maybe volunteer to lend a hand.


Above all, if you are absolutely sure you can do a better job, then slip on those moccasins! After that you may understand and find peace in keeping silent.







2 comments:

Linda Lou Rogers Averitt said...

if you are absolutely sure you can do a better job, then slip on those moccasins! After that you may understand and find peace in keeping silent


I love this!! goes along with, You can't judge someone else by their actions and judge yourself by your intentions;)

Gailyn said...

Linda - You continue to inspire me through your writing! Thanks for sharing your gift with the world.