Tuesday, December 21, 2010

THE GIFT EVERYONE REMEMBERS




“The greatest gift is a portion of thyself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can’t remember what gifts I received for Christmas when I was six, but I do remember walking around the city square in Mexico, Mo with Momma and Daddy. We visited Santa and Dad told me that he believed that this Santa was the real McCoy! Not just a helper. I still remember the thrill that ran through me that night. We admired the storefront windows as well as the lights and decorations along the street. Then we went home and drank eggnog with nutmeg sprinkled on top.
Before going to bed, we all piled on the couch and sang Christmas carols. Our parakeet, Butch, bobbed his head, kissed his image in his mirror, and chirped “ack-ack-ack” with cheerful abandon.
This memory is one of thousands held in the treasure chest of my soul. It is a gift that came from a portion of my mother and father. They gave me their love, time and creativity. They also lavished me with toys, but I don’t remember anything about those. I remember our time together.
Toys and “stuff” break or get lost. What my parents gave me never breaks, gets lost, or grows old. In fact, my memories grow sweeter with time. And they remain inside me where I can play with them anytime I please.
This Christmas, remember the best gift you can give is your time. Make sweet memories for those you love. Spend time with friends and laugh a lot!
And when you do spend money on a gift, don’t forget those who are in need like the single moms and dads, those who have lost their jobs or the children who live in third world countries and only have muddy water to drink.
         This week give the gift that is priceless—yourself

No comments: