Monday, November 15, 2010

ACHIEVEMENT THROUGH HOPE


Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.” ~ Unknown Author

I’m reading a book about the early immigrants who came to the shores of the USA seeking a better life, a life free of the religious and social constraints that made them less than others. These men, women, and children worked hard. They came here poor and remained poor a long time after arriving. Some farmed and fought the elements to bring in the crops. Others indentured themselves, cooking and cleaning for those who had found their fortunes.

Not all came here on their own volition. Millions of men, women, and children were brought here against their will and suffered inhumane treatment, being separated from their families, watching their children auctioned off, backbreaking work and death.

I can see how easily it could have been for these heroes of history to have given up. How they could have lost hope. Some did, but most kept working. Today we are enjoying the fruits from their labor.

Today, we work and fight the elements. However, our battles are very different from those of our forefathers and foremothers, but they are battles all the same. We may be tired and discouraged, but we must continue and not give up.

The meaning of hope isn’t “wishful thinking.” It means “confident expectation.” I’m learning-on a daily basis-that I cannot trust circumstances. For instance, I have certain things that weigh heavy on my heart. One day I may feel all is lost. The next I may get good news and think, “finally, a step forward!” I walk on air the rest of the day. The next morning I get slammed with bad news. Instead of a step forward, now I’ve taken six steps backwards.

In situations like this, I feel lost. But I don’t have the full picture. It is easy to lose perspective, to lose confidence, to lose hope. However, the worst thing I could do is quit. And believe me, I’ve threatened to many times.

But I can’t.

You can’t either. Whatever is going on in your life right now, keep on keeping on. Don’t give up hope. You will achieve if you do not give up.




1 comment:

Jan Morrill said...

A good reminder, Linda. I am always amazed and inspired when I hear stories of our forefathers' struggles. Imagine where we'd be had they given up. Sometimes, just reminding myself things will be clearer in hindsight helps with the struggle. Thank you for all your inspiration!