Monday, September 20, 2010

WHAT REALLY MATTERS


“I have found a paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” ~ Mother Theresa

September 11, 2010, I listened to rebroadcasts of the terrorist attack on our nation. I was driving to meet my friend Jan who was traveling with me to Oklahoma City. My throat constricted and tears slid down my cheeks. It felt to me like the attack had just happened.

When Jan got in the car, she too had been listening to the same radio station. We talked about that day and she made an interesting point. It intrigued her how important it was to those who knew death was immanent that their family knew how much they loved them. It wasn’t important to know that they were loved.

I thought about what she said.  After returning home I googled the last words of the victims. I wept as I read transcripts of phone calls and interviews of those who lost loved ones in this heinous crime. No one called to say, I’ll never forgive you, you hurt my feelings, I hate you. Rather they said, I’m okay, I love you, never forget that.

This just goes to show us what really matters, to give love rather than to expect it. It also presents the true meaning of love. It is a verb more than a noun. It is an action more than an emotion. It is doing for others when there is nothing in it for us. It is often inconvenient and unappreciated.

True love is sacrifice. Loving others is what really matters.



No comments: