Tuesday, August 10, 2010

CAPTURING MOMENTS



“Life gives us brief moments with another . . . but sometimes in those brief moments we get memories that last a lifetime” ~ Unknown

My son and daughter-in-love, Rob and Bea, decided to take my grandson, Robby, to the Tulsa Zoo. He’d never been to a zoo before and this would be his first time to see a real monkey, a real giraffe, and a real elephant. I got to keep their other son, baby Judah,  for the day seeing how he couldn’t care less about lions and tigers and bears. The plan was for me to pick Judah up at 7 a.m. and return around 4, their estimated time of arrival. Notice that I emphasized “estimated.”

At 2 p.m. Bea called and said they were on their way home. I could hardly wait to hear about Robby’s reaction to all the animals he’d seen and eagerly waited for 4 o’clock to arrive.

But, 4 came and went. Bea called once again and said they had a flat. After a long wait to replace the tire, they got back on the road only to take the wrong turn, which, of course they didn’t realize until things just didn’t seem right. By then they had traveled a long way.

At 6:30 they returned. Rob and Bea looked so frazzled. I hated that for them after having such a wonderful morning with their first-born — a day when it was once again just the three of them. I hugged my son, assured him that later they would laugh about this (believe me, I know this by experience) and for them to try and not let the afternoon’s trials to steal the “moments” they shared at the zoo.

Moments. More and more I hear the phrase “having a moment” in some way or another, usually in a humor piece on television. However, in real life I’ve come to realize that moments are the “dots” in our lives. They are what we remember most. When I try to recall the past, I remember a conversation, a song, a feeling, a taste. I think about how I felt, colors, sounds. The whole scenario doesn’t come to mind, but I can “connect the dots.”

Rob and Bea will remember the excitement in Robby’s voice, the wonder in his expression, the relentless heat not being able to dampen his determination to see everything. They won’t remember everything they saw or said, but they will remember moments.

Another thing. I give myself the “gift of moments.” Being a nature lover, I go outside and capture a moment in the woods. Last night my 2-yr-old granddaughter and I blew bubbles on the front porch. I will always remember teaching her how to pucker her lips just so, how to hold the wand away from her lips and to blow gently. The expression on her face while she concentrated, trying to remember all those steps was priceless.

As I blew bubbles and watched the carnival glass-colored orbs float around like fairies, I became a child again. The little girl in me connected with my little granddaughter. I will always remember that moment on the porch. I hope she will too. But just in case, I will make sure there are more “moments” with her.

This week I encourage you to give yourself and others the gift of moments.

This week, “CAPTURE THE MOMENT”




1 comment:

Linda Glaz said...

I wish they could be carved permanently on our hearts.