Monday, March 01, 2010

LAUGH!


“What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul” ~ Yiddish Proverb

For those of you who do not know my husband, Neal Apple, he is one of the most efficient, intelligent men on the planet. Every thing in his world must have order and purpose.

One Saturday morning he decided to run some errands. He called  after he left and asked me to look up an address and to get right back with him. I hurried to the computer, found the address and called him.

No answer

I tried again and he answered, sounding a little exasperated and said he’d call me back in a minute. I got a little miffed. After all, I didn’t take that long. Jeez!

What I didn’t know is while he waited for me to get back with the address, he stopped at Sonic and bought an ice cream cone. While pulling out, holding the cone in one hand, the phone in the other, and trying to shift the car, I called.

Neal finished shifting and answered the phone—at least that is what he thought he was doing—but he used the wrong hand and stuck the ice cream cone in his ear.

I still laugh when I think about that. I’m laughing now. It feels so good to laugh. But there are a lot of health benefits as well. Listed below are some of the things laughter does for us. It:
·      Lowers blood pressure
·      Reduces stress and stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline
·      Triggers the release of endorphins
·      Improves alertness
·      Relaxes the whole body
·      Boosts the immune system
·      Turns our focus away from anger and other negative emotions
·      Protects our heart and gives us a physical release
·      Improves our perspective
·      And connects us with other people in a social setting

This week I urge you to try this form of stress management. Find something funny to watch, read, or listen to and laugh. Share jokes with friends and laugh with them. When you stick and ice cream cone in your ear, laugh at yourself!

I’m including some YouTube videos to get you started. I also invite you to participate on the Inspire Discussion: Share Something Funny!

Have a “hilarious” week!











No comments: