Thursday, December 03, 2009

A CHRISTMAS THAT JESUS WOULD CELEBRATE

In my 54 Christmases I’ve seen society change from a hardworking mentality to a me first mentality, to entitlement, to greed, to not accepting personal responsibility, and now we face a bankrupt nation. 

But all is not lost. As we watch our dollar grow more worthless each passing day, we are finding ourselves again. Instead of getting lost in the orgy of spending for the perfect Santa Claus morning, we are spending time with those we love. Instead of debt bending our backs with worry, we stand straight and look to the future debt free. And since our gaze has gone from our navel (me, me, me) to the horizon we see others and recognize their need. 

Am I describing you? Have you undergone this change of mind? If not, I encourage everyone to use this holiday season as a springboard into the future. Change your mindset. Don’t regret the past, think forward and ask yourself, “How can I make someone’s life better?” Helping others doesn’t always require money. Time invested in their lives is just as needed. 

Lift up your eyes and be sensitive to those around you. Don’t grumble about the rich or the poor. Do something. Don’t feel that anyone owes you anything. Do something. Make the same choice as our forefathers. Have the attitude and the willingness to do what it takes. 

If you have two cents to your name, give one to someone else. If your house is only 300 square feet, invite someone over for coffee and encourage them. Start giving to the poor and continue giving throughout the year. Help those who have dedicated their lives to the poor. Teach your children to give. Make that the most exciting part of Christmas for them. 

For me, Christmas isn’t a time to celebrate the birth of Christ since he wasn’t born in December anyway. Christmas is the anniversary to renew my resolve to celebrate Christ’s command in Matthew 22:36-40 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.”

No comments: