Sunday, October 11, 2009

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU A SHORT BLANKET

Life is like a blanket too short. You pull it up and your toes rebel, you yank it down and shivers meander about your shoulder; but cheerful folks manage to draw their knees up and pass a very comfortable night. ~Marion Howard



I came across this quote the other day and thought, isn’t this just like life? It often seems that we get the short blanket more often than the long one, doesn’t it?


However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Why? Because we learn more from short blankets. Discomfort gets our attention.

If you are anything like me, you will first try to remedy the short blanket situation right away in your own strength and fail. After failure a little self-pity often follows. Then, finally, we turn to God for His perspective and help.

Sometimes He provides a longer blanket. However, many times He doesn’t. What then? Well, we have some decisions to make that will affect our outlook on life.

Let’s look at a few of our choices:

  • Gratitude or ingratitude? The wise choice is to be grateful. As the quote above indicates, gratitude for any blanket at all would have me draw up my knees and be comfortable.
  • Trusting the truth or the circumstances? It's hard to ignore a raging storm, especially when it is raging in our souls. The cry of our heart is thin in the tempestuous gales of worry. But it comes down to this – I either believe God or I don’t. Philippines 4:8 says, “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” I have to strip away all of the what if’s and if only’s from my thoughts and dwell on what I know to be true. When I do that I am able to hear God.
  • Hanging around waiting for things to change or using what is in my hand? I’d like to add to the quote above, “Cheerful folks manage to share their short blanket. What ever you have, share it. I have a friend who expressed a desire to practice hospitality, but said she couldn’t because her house was too small. I asked if she had two chairs and a table. She nodded. “Then your house isn’t too small,” I replied. Many lives are comforted over coffee in a small house. I experienced the rejection of divorce in my first marriage. Today, I help others who are walking that lonely, painful path. If I’d chosen to become bitter and broody, what happened years ago would continue to hurt me today. Sharing with others and helping them healed me.

Remember, small blankets make down-filled comforters all the more enjoyable when they finally come. So let’s “draw up our knees” and remain cheerful!






--

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.