Saturday, May 17, 2008

LET'S EAT ICE CREAM


This week my friend, Ruth, died. We were neighbors, our children grew up together, we shared life. Ruth taught me how to plant a vegetable garden and how to plant flowers. She had a mild manner and a beautiful voice.

Later when the children were older we moved apart, but kept in touch. Two months ago she was diagnosed with lukemia. "Treatable" the doctors said. And then, last Wednesday at 11:00 p.m. she slipped into eternity.

Another friend called to tell me the news about Ruth. We both exclaimed how floored we were that she had died. Then my friend made a profound statement. "I'm going to go eat ice cream."

"Huh?"

"All this worry about being a certain size, looking certain way . . . well, we never know, look at our friend. Less that three months ago she was fine. I'm going to eat ice cream."

I got it then. We must live in the day we are in. Yes, we should eat healthy, but we should also enjoy life one day at a time. We should enjoy family, friends, and not be self-consumed with temporal things.

Take time to "be." Be with the person talking to you instead of mentally making lists of things to do. Be where you are. Enjoy the days God has blessed you with.

I't is said that "if the devil can't make us bad, he will make us busy." I think that is true. He will consume our minds, leaving no room for thoughts of God or our fellow man.

So, grab a friend, a loved one, and go eat some ice cream together. Savor every moment together. Be where you are.

No comments: